After we picked ALL those strawberries (20 plus pounds) last week, it was time to bake! And baked we did…muffins, mini hand pies, bread, cupcakes, pies, shortcakes!
Everything was so yummy! There is nothing better than fresh picked strawberries. Out of all the recipes, my favorite was the strawberry rhubarb pie.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pastry for 2 nine inch pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
1. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Roll out the pastry, and line a 9 inch pie plate with it.
3. Spoon in the filling.
4. Roll out the pastry for the top crust. Cover the filling with it. Pinch the crust together around the edges.
5. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
6. Bake on a baking sheet (to prevent dripping) for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
7. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
8. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting.
I think it is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Enjoy!